Thursday, September 2, 2010

Typhoon Kompasu

Survived my first direct hit from a typhoon in the wee hours of early Thursday morning...not everyone or everything was so lucky. I can attest to its strength, never before have I seen a flag ripped from its pole, had wind move a ceiling tile in my bathroom (air pressure changed so much it created a vacuum above my ceiling I'm guessing), or had to put dumbbells inside my house so the cabinet doors don't fly open. I watched police men lowering the Korean flag atop a police station out of fears it would rip and fly off...and then they tied the flag poles to a wall so the poles didn't go flying.

I've also only ever heard of wind measured in 'miles per hour' or 'kilometers per hour'...this storm had Koreans measuring in meters per SECOND!! As in, the winds gusted at 52.4 meters per SECOND!!! Some trees down in the neighborhood...and all above ground subway trains were out of service...but, I taught as usual, as the typhoon made landfall to my west and past over the country in about 4 hours flat....nearly as fast as a high speed bullet train...

Read the article for some more info. if you're so inclined:
http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/national/2010/09/02/27/0302000000AEN20100902007900315F.HTML

2 comments:

Daddy-O said...

So glad you're safe and sound.
So much crazy weather arounf the world, makes me happy for quiet little western WA, USA!!

Mom said...

Mama is happy too that you are safe and sound. I am glad to be here, I hate high winds. Reminds me of the tornadoes in the Wisconsin. I wouldn't have had enough Soju to get through a typhoon!