***WARNING*** ***GRAPHIC CONTENT***
-May upset some viewers. Viewer discretion is strongly advised-



So, puppy is teething, April, did Winston go through that? I'd read a bit about it so knew it was coming. And when those little biters at the front go, it was easy enough. Shortly afterwards some new, smoother, rounder, and larger adult teeth were coming in. But knowing the long canines were the last to go, I still wasn't prepared for a night when suddenly there was a smear of blood on my front door, blood spots on my flooring, blood spread all over her soccer ball, and then blood on my forearm and wrist. I was a bit panicky and not sure if she'd just lost a permanent tooth or what. But I calmed down, did some reading, and steeled myself to the fact that she was just losing her teeth. Afterwards the fun part became trying to collect as many as possible.
One night we were playing fetch in the entryway and she started licking oddly, I wasn't sure, but got the sense something was up. So I came over to her just in time to have the second canine fall onto the marble flooring. I snatched it up and kept it. Apparently it is quite rare to find puppy teeth, they usually swallow them. So this past week I've kept tugging at the two canines that are left. Of course the one that seemed solid and unlikely to drop fell out suddenly while I was building the puzzle upstairs. I never even saw it. The last one has been dangling for days and is just firmly enough rooted yet that I don't to cause puppy any pain in my avarice. ;)
Incredibly, while I was sorting some puzzle pieces upstairs one night, I came across a little white fleck that turns out to be one of those little biters she had in the front. It's pretty amazing because she was only allowed upstairs ONCE, and we all saw how that turned out. So I'm considering myself pretty lucky to have found the two, and puppy is healthy and almost through that phase of dog-dom.
Check out the photos of her missing tooth the night the first canine fell out, and also the shots of the stubborn third canine and the new canine growing in the same spot. Pretty cool...
Mom, could we make a Rescue 911 reenactment of this scenario? :)
3 comments:
Winstons either fell out outside or knowing him he ate them like everything else he finds. I think it depends on the size of the dog. Winston if on his back paws is almost as tall as me! YIKES
I'm ready with the video camera. I should watch the video of Matt's finger again for a good laugh. Randy and the kids would love it!
Ape...I guess most dogs do just swallow their puppy teeth. Do you remember Winston having more jagged puppy teeth, perhaps missing a few, then growing newer rounded adult dog teeth? I read one story of a woman whose dog would lose a tooth, keep it in his mouth, come and lick her hand, and then :::PHWOOT::: spit out the puppy tooth into her hand. I think she ended up with 11 or 13 teeth. Incredible...
UPDATE: Puppy has lost her final long canine tooth and the adult ones are growing in just fine, I'm not sure if she still has to lose the back molars...harder to tell if they are puppy or adult teeth at this point.
Cheers!! and brush your teeth!
Post a Comment