Thursday, March 5, 2009

P90X Chin-up Bar

Ok, so here's one piece of equipment that I purchased along with the 12 DVD's. I actually ordered this a few day after the DVD's because I couldn't find a suitable place to hang it in my office-tel (that's Korean for apartment). I only have one doorway, not counting my front door, and I won't be dangling out in my hallway doing pullups. (My front door doesn't have trim anyhow...) The chin-up bar needs some sort of trim to rest on in order to work properly; the way my bathroom was constructed, I only had about 1 1/2 cm.(centimeter...very advanced mathematical system here) of clearance between the trim and the low ceiling. Long story short, I went shopping downtown, saw a few simple (see: CHEAP) chin-up bars that really didn't get me excited about using them. So I came back home and whipped it out..my knife of course...actually a straight blade, a long screwdriver, and a thick kitchen knife. I cut through a seam in my bathroom ceiling and took out a portion of it. I also took out the plastic runner that fit against the wall to keep the ceiling taut. There were some metal (aluminum?) bars running across the top of the panelling to keep it level, so I had to use pliers to bend back one of those as well. Anyhow...I got a space cleared, and viola...now I can use the official, multi-grip P90X chin-up bar, just like the pro's. The company was even gracious enough to waive the shipping fee (a lot!) and the delivery guy on this end didn't charge me the custom tax (also a lot!) Pretty impressive customer service. I'll post some results soon...pull-ups, chin-ups, wide-grip pull-ups, alternating chin-ups/pull-ups, close grip chin-ups, etc...it's harder than you think...












5 comments:

Springer said...

Is this the american one that is SEEN ON TV? I bought Randy that a while ago and he loves it. I can't remember what it is called but it looks similar.

MMartin said...

Yeah, I originally discovered it ON TV in the US...did you buy Randy the bar or the entire program?

MMartin said...

Just thinking...was it the Perfect Pullup Bar that you ordered for Randy...I remember comparing both of them...unless you bought the entire P90X program, it's more likely you bought that as a stand-alone product. Just curious..where'd you install it in your house? Have a photo? I'm curious...how many is he doing?

Springer said...

It is the perfect pullup, I actually got it at Staples weird enough we have a AS SEEN ON TV section. It can be moved and then used as a sit up tool, but he puts it in our laundry room entrance. I'll have him tell you how many and what he does....I have no idea. :-)

CO said...

How much space did it end up using? I have about 2 inches between the top of the door frame and the ceiling. Would that work?